In 1949, the company was being incorporated, and it is engaged in the business of operating as well as managing restaurants, luxury hotels, management contracts, and travel & tours. It is a Delhi–based company and is a flagship company of the Oberoi group. It is also formerly known as the East India Hotels, as the name was changed to EIH as on November 1, 1996.
In January 1997, it forayed into the overseas market via opening a luxury resort named The Obe
roi Lombok located in Indonesia. Soon after, the company started Motor Vessel Vrinda, which is a luxury cruiser in Kerala as of November 2003.
It formed a tie-up with Hilton International to co-brand its Trident hotels in India as on March 2004. Alo after such hotels were renamed such as Oberoi Towers, Mumbai rebranded as Hilton Towers, and the Trident located Jaipur, Udaipur, Agra, Chennai, Cochin, Bhubaneshwar and Gurgaon was being renamed as Trident Hilton as on April 1, 2004. This specific agreement came to an end as on April 2008.
Its service portfolio includes car rentals, airline catering, management of restaurants and airport bars, travel and tour services, project management, and the corporate air charters. It also operates its business of hospitality under the luxury ‘Oberoi’ and five-star ‘Trident’ brands.
The company also owns and operates hotels with the name Trident, in Gurgaon, The Oberoi, in Mumbai, The Oberoi Udaivilas, in Udaipur, The Oberoi, in New Delhi, The Oberoi Vanyavilas, in Ranthambhore, The Oberoi, in Bangalore, Trident, in Nariman Point, Mumbai and The Oberoi Grand, in Kolkata. It also owns the Maidens Hotel that is located in Delhi.
Simultaneously, it also owns and manages the hotels via subsidiary/associate companies such as Trident, Chennai, Trident, AgraTrident, Jaipur, Trident, Udaipur, Trident, Cochin, Trident, Bhubaneswar, and The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, and The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur, Wildflower Hall, Himalayas (An Oberoi Resort), and The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, and The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, and The Oberoi, Bali, and The Oberoi, Lombok and The Oberoi, Mauritius.
Under the services, the company provides flight services to metros like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata. It provides airport services to Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Cochin, and Bangalore and also owns a printing press at Delhi and business aircraft charters.
In 2010 EIH International Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of EIH Ltd accomplished its acquisition of approximately 46% of the equity interest of the Amex Investment Limited, which is in its international hotel's joint venture company EIH Holdings Ltd. According to this acquisition, it is currently a wholly-owned subsidiary of the EIH International Ltd.
Some of the Achievements:
- The Oberoi Hotels & Resorts were rated as the best chain (and outside the US) by the readers of Business Travel Awards, Conde Nast Traveler magazine, in 2007.
- The Oberoi Hotels & Resorts have also been rated as the leading luxury hotel brand in Asia in a travel agents' poll at the World Travel Awards, in the year 2007.
- Also, Trident Hotels was being ranked as the ‘Best First Class Hotel Brand in India’ during the Galileo Express Travel World Awards 2008.
- P.R.S. Oberoi, the Chairman, received the '2010 Corporate Hotelier of the World' award as of November 2010.
- The Four Oberoi hotels were ranked among the 30 best in the world and 10 best in Asia, as in October 2010.
- Also, Wildflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas was rated as India's Leading Spa Resort, as in October 2010.
- The Oberoi Zahra, which is the Luxury Nile Cruiser, received the Award of Excellence from the Ministry of Tourism, Egypt, in October 2010.
The Oberoi Group (the Parent Company)
In 1934, it was instituted in 1934 and was engaged in the business of airport restaurants, flight catering, travel and tour services, car rentals, project management, and corporate air charters. Currently, the Oberoi Group consistently operates about 27 hotels and three cruisers in five different countries. It also operates its hospitality business under the luxury brand ‘Oberoi’ and five–star brand ‘Trident.’ Also in India, this particular group has a presence in Chennai, Mumbai, Gurgaon, Cochin, Agra, Bhubaneshwar, Jaipur and Udaipur. And Overseas, it has a presence in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, and Mauritius.