It manufactures a diverse portfolio of steel products, with a product range that includes flat products and long products, as well as some non-steel products such as ferroalloys and minerals, and tubes & bearings. The Company, via its Indian operations, is a large manufacturer of ferrochrome and steel wires in India and a supplier of chrome ore globally. Its main markets include the Indian construction, automotive and general engineering industries. Its m
ain facilities have been historically concentrated around the Indian city of Jamshedpur (Jharkhand), where the Company operates a 6.8 mtpa crude steel production plant and a variety of finishing plants close to the iron ore and coal reserves.
In February 2005, it acquired the steel-related businesses of NatSteel Asia, with facilities located in Singapore, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Australia.
It also entered into a Brand Equity and Business Promotion Agreement with the Promoter dated December 18, 1998, for the use of the Tata name.
Some of the Milestones:
- 1910: It obtained its first colliery.
- 1912:The first ingot rolls out and bars mills commence operations and introduction of 8-hour working day.
- 1938:Also, the launch of an electric process for making steel which was employed for the production of high-grade iron and steel casting.
- 1972-1973: Also, the Coal fine washeries were set up for the first time in Jamadoba and West Bokaro.
- 1980-1996: Its modernization program of the Jamshedpur steelworks was initiated in four phases during this period.
- The cold rolling mill set up at Jamshedpur. The mill was completed in a record time of 26 months.
- The creation of a B2B portal called metaljunction.com in collaboration with SAIL and Kalyani Steel.
- 2001:The World Steel Dynamics ranked Tata Steel as India’s only World-class steel maker.
- It launched its first branded cold rolled steel product called Tata Steelium.
- It celebrated its 75 years of industrial harmony.
- 2004: Its biggest blast furnace completes production of 14 million tons of hot metal which is the highest production achieved by a blast furnace in India in its first campaign.
- It acquired NatSteel Asia in Singapore.
- It launched Steel Junction that is India’s first organized retail store for steel products.
- It is also ranked as the World’s Best Steel Maker by World Steel Dynamics.
- Its steelworks at Jamshedpur crossed 5 million tonnes mark in crude steel production.
- It is ranked again as the World’s Best Steel Maker by World Steel Dynamics.
- It acquired Corus that makes it the sixth-largest steelmaker in terms of actual crude steel production.
- It was conferred the Prime Minister of India’s Trophy for the Best Integrated Steel Plant.
- The 1.8 mtpa capacity expansion at Jamshedpur becomes operational and bringing total crude steel production capacity to 6.8 mtpa.
- It was awarded the Demining Application Prize.
- It was awarded the TERI Corporate Award for its HIV/AIDS initiative.
- It issued Global Depository Receipts worth US$ 500 million.
- It was awarded the CSR Excellence Award 2010 by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
- It was awarded the FE-EVI Green Business Leadership Award in the iron and steel category.
- Both Tata Ryerson and HMPCL merged with Tata Steel.
Some of the Achievements:
- It was awarded the ‘Economic Times Company of the Year Award.’
- It was conferred the Indian Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise award for sustained excellence in the field of knowledge management.
- Also, the Tubes Division of the Company won the 16th JRD QV Award.
- Both Corus and SSI signed MoU for the potential sale of Teesside Cast Products.
- Its joint venture for production and sales of Automotive Cold Rolled Flat Products.
- It signed a Memorandum of Understanding with NMDC.
- It executed an agreement for the refinancing of its debt in Europe.
- It increased its stake in New Millennium Capital Corporation.
- It won the Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise (or MAKE) Winner in 2010 for sustained excellence in the field of Knowledge Management.
- Also, the Tata Steel - Joint Venture for Automotive Cold-Rolled Flat Products.
- It signed a definitive agreement with SSI for the sale of TCP.
- It also conferred with ABCI Awards.
- Also, TSRDS Jharia received the Best NGO award.
- It bagged two prestigious awards at the MMMM Exhibition 2011.
- It won the 'The Businessworld Most Respected Company Award 2011.
- Also, the Safety & Health Excellence Recognition 2012 awarded to Tata Steel by Worldsteel Association.
- It conferred with the prestigious Asian MAKE Award for Transforming Enterprise Knowledge into Stakeholder Value.
- It conferred With the Prestigious 'AWARD FOR LEADERSHIP' in HR Excellence at the CII National HR Conclave 2012.
- It restructured to improve the competitiveness of UK operations via market cycles.
- It secured a major profiled steel plate order for Siemens wind towers.
- It expanded its aerospace operations in China by opening its second aerospace service center in the country.
- It was awarded the 'CII-ITC Sustainability Prize’ in the 'Category A' for Large Independent Company at the CII-ITC Sustainability Awards 2012.
- It formed an alliance with Labrador Iron Mines Holdings Limited (LIM) to assist operations in Labrador trough.
- It received approval for the amalgamation of TML & TMKPL with the company by the Board of Directors.
- It sets up a new 6mn tonne steel plant for the Odisha project.
- It signed a 5-year contract with Safran Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of American International Group, Inc.
- It bagged contracts to serve Network Rail, Britain for five more years.
- It won a 2-year contract to supply rail tracks to the French rail operator.
- It inaugurated the UK's largest plate service center in the West Midlands.
- It signed contracts to supply pipes to Subsea 7.
- It bagged Asian Corporate Social Responsibility (or CSR) Leadership Award for Community Development.
- It launched an innovative and stronger structural steel tube product in Europe.
- It approved the Scheme of amalgamation between Tata Steel Limited and Tata Metaliks Limited and Tata Metaliks Dl Pipes Limited.
- It signed a Letter of Intent regarding the Long Products Europe business.
- It received a green nod for Rs 1,877 cr expansion project.
- It calls for two subsidiaries merger.
- It received a contribution to an investment project.
- It inaugurated the daycare facility for employees.
- It declared partnership for its Canadian Iron Ore Mines.
- It won three awards for Excellence in Value Engineering at INVEST 32nd National & 5th Asian Value Engineering Conference held in New Delhi.
- It received ‘The Best Companies to Work for Award’ by Business Today.’
- It bagged the Most Ethical Company Award for the 4th time.
- It was bestowed with the Golden Peacock Innovative Product/ Service Award.
- It conferred with the ‘Tata Affirmative Action Program’ Jury Award.
- It is also India’s first steel manufacturing company to receive ‘Greenco Platinum’ rating from the CII Green Building Council.
- It inaugurated Cold Rolling Mill Complex BARA Phase II.
- Its Tata Stee's Katamati Mine won the Best Green Award.
- The Kalinganagar hot metal production crossed the 2 MT mark.
- It’s the first Greenfield Ferro-Chrome Plant in India at Gopalpur Starts Production.
- It commissioned its 1st 3 MW solar power plant at Noamundi.
- It commissioned its mine air cooling system at Digwadih.