Biocon Limited or BIOCON
Biocon, which is Asia's largest biotechnology company, started itself with a seed capital of INR 10, 000 in the year 1978, and currently, it is a billion dollar company. It also manufactures the biotechnological products catering to the healthcare section and engages itself in all the phases of the product cycle from discovering to development & then commercializing the same drugs. It consists of a fermentation-based technology which is cre
ating cost-effective, and some of its subsidiaries are Syngene and Clinigene for the international pharmaceutical and biotechnology majors.
Biocon produces antidiabetic agents like Acarbose, Pioglitazone, and Repaglinide & Rosiglitazone. In the biological section, it produces Insulin, Erythropoietin (EPO), Filgrastim (GCSF), and Streptokinase & Monoclonal Antibodies. The drug major provides mycophenolate mofetil, tacrolimus, and sirolimus. It also produces and market mix of specialty & industrial enzymes for industries such as brewing, paper, beverages, food, brewing, textiles & distilling. The company's drug portfolio also consists of lovastatin, simvastatin, pravastatin, and atorvastatin.
The Business of the Company:
It has a fully integrated business model that spans the entire drug value chain, from the preclinical discovery to clinical development and through to commercialization. Its businesses are spread in various custom research (Syngene), clinical development (Clinigene) and biopharmaceuticals (Biocon) which provides multiple revenue streams to balance risk, drive innovation, deliver products, and accelerates the growth. As the company has increased both the complexity as well as the scope of its R&D and manufacturing operations, especially in the case of new product discovery and development, it is believed that the custom, as well as clinical research services, will continue to offer such essential synergies.
- Syngene: Pre–Clinical Discovery: It is the Biocon's custom research organization, Syngene which offers modular and integrated services in small and large molecule discovery and development. Offering meticulous IPR protection, we provide customized solutions to pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnology, and agrochemical industries in the areas of biology, chemistry, process development, and scale-up, formulation, and preclinical services, analytical development, and the GMP manufacturing for clinical supplies.
- Clinigene: Clinical Research: It is a full–service Clinical Research Organization, which is an innovative provider of world-class clinical research solutions to the global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. With state of the art infrastructure & highly experienced clinical research professionals, Clinigene's services span a broad spectrum of drug development activities which includes human pharmacology, central laboratory, bioanalytical research laboratory for small and large molecules, medical writing, clinical operations, medical monitoring, safety management and pharmacovigilance, clinical data management & the biostatistics and regulatory services supporting early via late phase clinical development programs across a wide range of the therapeutic areas.
- Biocon: Commercialization: Biocon has an impressive track record of commercialization capabilities. The company has also brought to market a considerable portfolio of the biopharmaceuticals, which is led by the blockbuster Statins. The commercialization of Insulin and a range of Biogenerics demonstrates the company's highly advanced process development and manufacturing expertise.
- It is India India's first biotechnology company set up in 1978.
- It became the first company to export microbial enzymes to the US & Europe.
- It is the first Indian company to be approved by USFDA for the manufacture of lovastatin, a cholesterol-lowering molecule.
- It is the first biotechnology company in India to receive the ISO 9001 certification.
- Syngene which a Biocon subsidiary is also India's first custom research company in drug discovery.
- It was awarded the Biotech Product and Process Development and Commercialization Award in 2001 by the Ministry of Science, Department of Biotechnology, and Technology, Government of India.
- Syngene was also awarded the Certificate of Excellence for Export Achievement by the Government of India, for two consecutive years 2002–2003.
- It launches BIOMAb EGFR – India's first anti-cancer, therapeutic Monoclonal Antibody-based drug used for treating the solid tumors of the epithelial origin such as head and neck cancers in the year 2006.
- 2014: The Company has been conferred with the Sir J C Bose Memorial Award – 2013 in the Institutional category by the Indian Science Monitor (ISM) for its contribution in the field of Biotechnology and with particular reference to the launch of ALZUMAb (Itolizumab).
- 2013: – Biocon Ranked at No. 6 among Top 20 Global Biotech Employers by the Science Magazine.
- 2010: Biocon wins Bio–Excellence Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Healthcare Sector at Bangalore Bio.
- 2009: Biocon among Top 20 Indian companies in Forbes' Best Under A Billion' List.
- The company wins the Bio–Excellence Award for an Outstanding Achievement in the Healthcare Sector at Bangalore Bio.
- Syngene wins the Bio–Excellence Award for outstanding achievement in the Biotech Service Sector at Bangalore Bio.
- The company bags IDMA 'Best Patent of the year' award.
- The BIOMAb EGFR was voted as the 'Bio–Spectrum Asia–Pacific Product of the year,' 2008.
- The company wins the prestigious Bio Singapore Asia Pacific Biotechnology Award for Best Listed Company.
- 2008: The Company has ranked among the top 20 global biotechnology companies and is the 7th largest biotech employer worldwide.